Monday, December 28, 2009
ANNOUNCING...
This year we will be studying the Old Testament! Hurrah!! I imagine that it will take us quite some time to complete it. But that's OK. We will be following the CES Institute manual for the Old Testament. My hope is that it will supplement our Sunday School Curriculum for the year. Our first group meeting will be January 5th. So grab your scriptures and let's get started! I will be handing out the schedule at our meeting. For now we will begin by reading the introduction to the Old Testament Institute Manual. Ironically, it's entitled "For Our Profit and Learning".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hi everyone! I'd like to start reading along with you. I read the Old Testament in Seminary (too many years ago!) so it's time to delve into it again. As the introduction says (p. 21 of the student manual), this is definitely the "most neglected book" by me. So I'm excited to read along with you and make it more a part of my life.
In reading the introduction to the student manual, the thing that stood out to me the most was about the plain and precious truths that have been lost(section 1-6). It says the Old Testament as originally written "made the Gospel so plain for those ancient peoples that a wayfaring man could not err therein". I can understand what it would have been like because when I read the Pearl of Great Price it seems so much easier to understand the very same stories contained in the Old Testament. But more importantly, they say that the Old Testament is still in "excellent condition" and that the "essence of the sacred message" is still intact. The messages are hidden in symbolism and imagery in order to protect them from Satan's attempts to destroy them. Fortunately, we have the guidance of the Spirit (and the wonderful student manual!) to help us understand the symbolism and imagery.
Katie--
All I can say is "hurrah!" and welcome. We are excited to have you. Thanks for your comments and insight.
Here we go! Dee gave me my own laptop for Christmas so I'm trying to come out of the dark ages and into the technological era! This could be fun. Studying the Old Testament will be so interesting. It is the basis for all our books of scripture and knowing more about the culture, customs and Jewish religion will really help us to better understand the teachings within. Welcome Katie!
Hurrah Jean!! I am so proud of you. It takes courage to learn something new, but I know you will love it. Thanks for posting a comment.
Post a Comment