Tuesday, January 5, 2010

And we are off!

Thanks to all that came to our little gathering this morning.  It was fun as always!  Now that we have adequately introduced ourselves to the topic of the year, we are ready to dive right in!  So let's get started.  Our first assignment is to read Genesis 1-2.  You will recognize these passages.  They will be familiar to you.  My assignment to you is to compare the Genesis account to the Moses account.  Then just for fun, go to the temple and see how all three accounts stack up.  Are they the same?  Are they different?  What's different about it?  Why do you think that is?  Then come back here and let me know what's on your mind.  Ready, set, go!

7 comments:

Katie Fuller said...

That was really interesting to read the different accounts of the creation! I also read the account in Abraham 4 and thought it was the easiest to understand (especially after reading about some of the phrases in the student manual). What takes place each "day" in these 3 accounts is the same. I've been trying to remember the order of everything at the temple and I think it's different... I'll be going to ward temple night on Friday so I'll make some mental notes for sure. I'm intrigued!

Reading about the creation gives me so much perspective about where we are in the grand scheme of things. The Bible begins with the phrase "In the beginning", but really that is just the beginning of our earth. It is not an account of the beginning of the universe or our spirits. Sometimes when I think that death is not the end, that there never will be an end, it makes me really tired. Do you think we'll ever get to rest? :-).

Susan said...

Just checking to see if I can really leave a comment. I really enjoyed Katie's and our last meeting.

Susan said...

I loved the beautiful language of the Creation. It has been a long time since I've read the Old Testament, I'm looking forward to this year. Thanks, Susan

Camille Bennett said...

I am so glad this blog has been created! I am really going to make a new commitment to reading the "assigned" chapters. I am especially excited to calander in the reading assignments each week. I know there aren't a lot of comments, but I'm sure there are many women looking and appreciating all the work that goes into this blog. Thanks!

Camille Bennett said...

Do you think that under the "Reading Assignments" section you could put the actual date? That would help me to know that I am keeping up with the schedule. Thanks! =)

Julie said...

Wow, an explosion of comments! Way to go everyone! Susan, I am glad that you finally got it to work for you. Camille, I would be happy to put the dates in. That might make me a little more accountable as well.

Katie Fuller said...

OK, so I eagerly went to the temple with our assignment on my mind. Very interesting! I always thought that part of the temple came straight from the scriptures, but I think there was some revelation involved... Camille, I know you were there too. What did you notice? Anyone else?